Monday 19 September 2011

Of gardens and things...

We've just moved.  Well - about 2 weeks ago now.  The last month has been so hectic - with another visit to hospital, I had to do all the packing before I went in to hospital, since I couldn't really put off this surgery.  And I knew I would not be able to do anything after I came home.  So we were living surrounded by boxes for the week before I went in.  And then when I came home, we decided to postpone the move by one week, so that we could finish painting the new house...

So the boxes.  We got sick of "camping" in our old, rented property, but were so looking forward to this move!  The wait was worth it.  The dear old MOTH (Man of the House) sent me off to work on the day of the move - he said I would be safer there, and not tempted to lift or do anything I shouldn't!  (He knows me too well...)

So amongst all the boxes, we are slowly getting ourselves sorted out.  But my Dad - bless him - planted a small garden for us before he moved.  You see, my parents have moved into a retirement village and we have bought their house.  I can't remember a time when my father didn't have a garden, and though the backyard is small in this place, he had built himself a garden down the back.  It has three tiers, and you don't have to bend over to weed the garden so much, because the tiers are a good size and you can stand and weed.  He wanted us to have fresh tomatoes this summer and insisted on planting some back in August - the right time to plant them here, he said.  And cabbages.  And silverbeet.  And there is also an abundance of passionfruit, parsley and chillis. 

But the poor little tomato plants.  We haven't had the time to go out to the garden and tie the plants to the stakes.  Or weed.  You can imagine what it was like?  Well, today I finally made time to go out there and dig in the garden!  What a lovely day too.  Got my Vitamin D.  And pulled the weeds.  Not all of them.  Too many for one days work.  But I did pull them from around the tomatoes, cabbage and silverbeet.  The dog got to the parsley before me.  It didn't need weeding.  Just to be tenderly put back and the roots covered.

But you know what?  As I was pulling the weeds, I was surprised at how many different kinds of weeds there were.  Some were easy to pull out and discard - others had roots that held them in somewhat more firmly.  And still others, had roots that were so long, that it was almost impossible to pull them out.  It was like, I'd pull and pull and pull and the roots just kept coming.  How much like sin are those roots?  Some sin is easy to discard, once you know its wrong!  Other sins come back and they are a little harder to pull out of your life.  Still others, you seem to keep pulling and trying and the sin keeps coming back.  But thats why we need the Master Gardener in our lives.  "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Phillipians 4:13)

I am not strong enough to pull the sin out of my life.  But I know that with God, He can take the weeds away and ensure that my fruit is full of the Holy Spirit!  Thank you God.

No comments:

Post a Comment