Thursday 26 May 2011

God is our Home...

.


Garden Tomb, Jerusalem.  Israel.

It's a sacred place - beautiful, quiet and while there, I felt I was walking in His presence.  It was on 07/07/07 when I visited the Garden Tomb in Jerusalem.  It is just one of two traditional sites where it is believed that Jesus was resurrected.  I don't know which one was the actual site, but in this beautiful garden area it was not hard to imagine Jesus meeting Mary and telling her to go tell the disciples what she had seen.

It was here, that we sat as a group in the late morning, when one of our tour leaders took a short devotional.  Have you ever read a book for the second time (or even a third, fourth or more?) and suddenly seen something that you know you must have read before, but somehow "missed" it?  Well, this was one of those occassions!  Rick based his devotional on Psalm 90:1 - it's a Psalm of Moses, the only Psalm that he wrote.  The first verse reads

Lord, through all the generations
  you have been our home!

I have thought of this verse so many times since that day, and it has become one of my favourite verses, but it took on new meaning for me today.  I was driving home and reflecting on my recent journey through the valley of death, when I realised that it wasn't until after I had gone home, that I started to realise where my journey had taken me.  I came home on Thursday evening, and it was Friday morning when I was sitting on my bed, when it suddenly hit me how close to dying I came. 

And today when I was reflecting on that, I realised that I felt safe at home.  Safe enough to think and process where the journey had taken me.  Safe enough to become grateful that I was alive!  There are many reasons why God is our home.  Home is where we feel safe, accepted, and secure.  Just to name a few of the reasons.  But safety, for me, is probably one of the biggest reasons I love to come home.  And this is what God is to me - He is my place of safety.  He is where I can go and know that I am safe.  Yes, things can happen, bad things can happen.  But you know what?  As I went through that valley of death, I didn't fear anything - I knew that I was safe and when I was reflecting, I also knew that even if I had died, that my eternal life was secure in God.

Thank you God, for being my Home - for providing me with that safety!

No comments:

Post a Comment