Sunday 8 May 2011

The Valley of Death...


1 The LORD is my shepherd;
  I have all that I need.
2 He lets me rest in green meadows;
  he leads me beside peaceful streams.
3   He renews my strength.
He guides me along right paths,
  bringing honor to his name.
4 Even when I walk
  through the dark valley of death,
I will not be afraid,
  for you are close beside me.
Your rod and your staff
  protect and comfort me.
5 You prepare a feast for me
  in the presence of my enemies.
You honor me by anointing my head with oil.
  My cup overflows with blessings.
6 Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me
  all the days of my life,
and I will live in the house of the LORD
  forever.

(The New Living Translation of Psalm 23)

This week I have been walking through the dark valley of death.  It hasn't been pleasant - horrendous, in fact.  It was after I came home from hospital that this Psalm suddenly took on new meaning for me.  I don't think I've ever felt as close to the shadow of death before.  But it was with that realisation that it also dawned on me that neither had I been afraid.  "Your rod and your staff they comfort me."

The shepherd's staff was something he used for support, to help him get over the rough terrain (and the terrain is very rough in the Middle-east!).  The rod, though, is a little different - it has several functions which make it particularly interesting in light of this Psalm, and a walk through the valley.  The rod was somehow used by the shepherd to mark his sheep, I guess a bit like the farmers these day brand their cattle.  But I think the most important use of the rod was to guide and protect the sheep - with the rod, the shepherd would ensure the sheep were guided to safe pastures and the rod would also drive away the wild animals that would hunt the sheep.

This week, I have felt the hand of God around me, marking me as His own.  This is as much HIS choice as it is mine!  I want to belong to Him, and I'm grateful for His protection this week.  The Good Shepherd has been there with me in my journey, guiding me and protecting me with His rod, supporting me with His staff.  Oh, how I have coveted this assurance throughout my life, and it has been there all the time.

2 comments:

  1. This Psalm has a special place within me When I was in 1st year of secondary school my girlfriend was murdered This Psalm was read at her funeral it was her favourite Every time I hear or read Psalm 23 I remember Debbie xxxx Thanks for sharing it means a lot
    Su xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So please Julie, that God has His plan for you and was there supporting you all the way through. May this be your experience throughout your life. Lots of love ((((((HUGS))))))

    ReplyDelete